HSE Recruitment are working with a leading transport organisation who are seeking a Head of Health and Safety.
Reporting into the MD and with one direct report, your role is to lead all aspects of Safety and Risk management within the company and to drive improvements to safety systems and culture through the introduction of a Safety Management System. The business are investing heavily in health and safety including a new safety management system and new safety software; your role when you join will be to support embedding this and encouraging that ownership of safety at site level.
This is a good mixture of hands on and strategic. It is going to be a challenging role and this person will need to be willing to roll their sleeves up and get out to the depots but also be credible as a senior leader and provide that direction and planning for the overall Health and safety for the company.
Based at their office in West London, you will be supporting 10 other depots across West and North London. Occasional ad hoc home working is permitted but this is an office/site-based role and by the nature of the industry, it won’t always be a traditional 9-5 roles.
- Identify and define company annual safety objectives and monitor deliver through each year.
- Assess current tools, techniques and systems to determine required improvements and gaps in operating activity and implement corrective action.
- Identify and report safety performance trends, working with relevant internal stakeholders to develop improvement plans.
- Develop specific incident reduction programmes based on industry best practice and analysis of lessons learned from previous incidents and claims.
- Ensure organisational HSE legal compliance, regularly review legislation and update company policies as required.
- Maintain company safety risk register, identify emerging safety risks and develop mitigation plans to reduce risk levels.
- Identification, implementation and monitoring of the Company road risk reduction strategy and initiatives across all levels of the business.
- Define and drive a safety culture across all levels of the business.
- Represent the Company as safety expert with relevant stakeholders
Salary and package:
- We are ideally looking for someone with a Diploma level qualification in health and safety and who is a Chartered member of IOSH (CMIOSH) or working towards
- Background in transport / road operations is essential - most of the risks are on the roadside or within the depots so having a background with this will be critical. Someone that knows what the sector is like and who won’t be overwhelmed or surprised by the pace.
- Able to adapt communication style to all levels of the business and influence and engage accordingly
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Commercially minded- see the bigger picture
- Experience embedding new systems and software those into the business, ensuring everyone is trained and that transition period is smooth then seeking to improve performance overall.
Up to £90,000, Potential 20% bonus based on personal and business performance, 10% pension, 25 days holiday, Life assurance at 2 times salary. Individual health insurance. There isn’t a car or a car allowance but bus and tube Travel card (worth around £4k) and partner card after 3 months is offered
If you are interested in finding out more, please submit your CV to email@example.com or apply and we will arrange a call to discuss further.