Job Title: Science Technician
Salary: £90 - £150 per day
Contract Type: Temporary (Timesheet basis)
Start Date: January 2024
End Date: July 2024
Opportunity for Permanent Position: Yes
School Rating: Ofsted rated ‘Good'
Hays Education are looking for a Science Technician to provide technical support to the Science Department at an Ofsted rated ‘Good' secondary school in Tottenham, Haringey. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting teaching staff to deliver the curriculum, maintaining equipment, and resources, and managing health and safety. You will work closely with teachers to design and safely prepare exciting classroom experiments to inspire children. You will also be responsible for setting up experiments, taking an active part in laboratory demonstrations, and ordering resources and keeping budgets. You will help ensure that statutory health and safety regulations and safe practice are complied with in all aspects of the work, and be proactive in monitoring and ensuring compliance.
- Supporting Teaching Staff to deliver the Curriculum
- Keep up to date with curriculum developments preparing in advance of lessons all necessary equipment, resources, and documents; delivering them to the relevant classroom and laying out as requested; clearing and washing up at the end of lessons; returning all equipment to the prep room or storage area as appropriate.
- Apply generic lab technician skills to deliver high-quality practicals and demonstrations to be used in physics/chemistry/biology lessons.
- Help in the trial of assessed practicals.
- Assist teachers in the distribution of photocopied documents.
- Help to supervise school science trips.
- When requested, assist teachers with demonstrations and practicals in the classroom.
- Maintaining Equipment and Resources
- Help conduct half-termly lab checks and report problems regarding labs, fume hoods, and equipment.
- Help ensure the laboratories (including sinks) are regularly cleaned and that the gas taps and electric sockets are regularly checked for foreign objects inserted into them.
- Report issues to your line manager.
- Monitor stock of materials and equipment.
- Report on stock levels and shortfalls to your line manager.
- Keep prep rooms clean and tidy ensuring a safe environment for all staff.
- Follow established systems as instructed by your line manager.
- A-level science is essential and a degree is a bonus.
- Apprenticeships are excellent for those who want to learn “on the job”.