Construction HSW&E Advisor
- The Coal Authority
- Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
- £35,763 - £41,452
- Closing date
- 26 Mar 2023
- Construction, Public Sector
- Health and Safety Advisor, Environmental Health and Safety Advisor
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About You Do you want to be part of an expert team that protects the health, safety and wellbeing of people and the environment?
Are you good at organising, managing and prioritising your time and projects?
Can you communicate and negotiate with a positive attitude?
If so, read on….
Our HSW team have an increasing portfolio of work and need to strengthen the team
You will have knowledge of health, safety and wellbeing and environmental management in construction
Experience of assisting the role of Principal Designer under the CDM regulations
You will undertake audit and/or site inspections
NEBOSH Construction Certificate or equivalent certified professional with experience working on a wide range of projects within a multi-disciplinary team and organisation would be a great advantage to you
Ability to be self-sufficient where required and work as part of a team
You will attend regular field visits in England, Scotland and Wales involving overnight stays
We don’t expect candidates to meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
About The Role
You will help resolve the legacy impacts of former mining works through the application of your experience and skills in health, safety, wellbeing and environment management and your CDM knowledge.
You’ll be part of the friendly and proactive health, safety and wellbeing team working with project managers and engineers to ensure that all aspects of health, safety, wellbeing and environment are considered on a wide range of projects.
You’ll must have a solid, working knowledge and experience of health, safety and environmental matters relevant to a broad range of construction works and specific application of the CDM Regulations to Notifiable projects. You should be aware of the increasing focus on personal wellbeing of those working in the construction industry.
Aspects of your work will include:-
- completing initial project safety, health and environmental (SHE) reviews, ensuring projects are notified to HSE as required, providing pre-construction information where required or advise others on suitability and completeness to meet legal requirements, ensuring a suitable construction phase plan is in place prior to commencement of a project and preparing health and safety file for each project
- bringing your knowledge and experience to projects such as design review meetings, pre-start and progress meetings working closely with design engineers, project managers and contractors and providing advice and guidance
- undertake site visits, SHE inspections and desktop audits to monitor compliance with safety, health and environmental legislation and best practice industry standards and where necessary challenge contractors where standards are unacceptable and assisting in resolving the issues to minimise risks
- supporting the delivery of sustainability objectives in projects including reducing carbon emissions, mitigating against climate change impacts, promoting resource efficiency, reducing waste and improving biodiversity
- assist in the development and review of the Authority’s SHE policies and procedures including CDM
- assist with and complete accident/incident investigation and when required complete RIDDOR reports
Role location: Hybrid. With projects based across the UK, travel will be required for site visits and inspections. The role will require you to be able to be in the Mansfield office for a minimum of 1 day a week and to be able to undertake day trips or overnight trips on a regular (typically fortnightly) basis.
For more information about the role please refer to the attached job description.
Application closing date: 26th March 2023
Sifting date: 30th March 2023
Interviews: w/c 3rd April 2023
(If you are unavailable on these interview dates, please make us aware, and we will look at alternative dates)
About The Coal Authority Our benefits:
- A market leading pension scheme - our employer contribution rate is around 27%!
- A choice of working patterns; full-time, part-time, job-share!
- Adoption or shared parental leave of 26 weeks full pay (subject to qualifying criteria)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Diversity Network Groups
- Mental Health Allies
- Civil Service Sports and Social club
- Employee discounts
- Annual medicals
- £15 per month towards wellbeing
- A values based recognition scheme
- Flexible working arrangements to give employees freedom to vary their hours around personal preferences and commitments.
- Generous holiday allowance – 27.5 days annual leave, plus the ability to flex an extra 6 days in addition to 8 public holidays
- On-site free parking, tea, coffee and soft drinks in the Mansfield office
- Sponsorship and professional qualifications support
- Professional subscriptions paid
Working with us:
We offer different ways to work flexibly, and the following types of flexibility are usually possible: job share, flexible hours, working from home for part of the week and compressed hours. Please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
With a genuine commitment to flexible working, we believe that work life balance is incredibly important.
Who we are:
Here at the Coal Authority, we really are a great team to work with. We’re united in our passion and commitment to make a better future for people and the environment in mining areas.
We carry out a wide variety of essential services from responding to coal mining hazards, to keeping everyone and everything safe from mine water pollution.
We are excited about what our future holds. Our work is helping to develop a new sustainable source of renewable energy for the UK. By harnessing the energy from mine water heat, we hope to play a key role towards helping the UK to meet net-zero emissions by 2050.
We truly are a supportive organisation where we all live and breathe our values. We are inclusive, trusted and progressive in everything that we do.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
Here at TCA we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our colleagues, our customers and our communities. We are proud to be an inclusive employer. We are committed to developing a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We encourage applications from people from different backgrounds, identities, cultures and beliefs. Diversity is vital to our success and innovation and is fundamental to our values of being trusted, inclusive and progressive.
As part of our commitment to increasing the diversity of our workforce, we provide a guaranteed interview to applicants who meet the minimum selection criteria who are disabled or from a minority ethnic community.
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alternative format application forms you can get in touch with us by contacting the team by email at email@example.com or by phone on 01623 637000.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert