Process Safety Engineer
- Barony Universal
- Irvine, North Ayrshire
- Closing date
- 6 Mar 2023
The Process Safety Engineer is responsible for the management and control of major accident hazards and risk to the sites and for site compliance with legislative requirements. They are the key point of contact with the regulatory authorities with respect to Major Accident Hazards and responsible for the safe design of planned changes on the site. Leadership in PSM for the businesses with process safety knowledge, strategy, and policy deployment, ensuring appropriate capability and focus is applied to establishing robust Process safety management systems and processes.
You will be responsible for participation in and the tracking of hazard reviews and process safety risk assessments, updating of sections of the COMAH Safety Report, monitoring of improvement actions arising, and providing technical input and guidance on aspects of plant and process safety.
Responsibilities of the Process Safety Engineer
- Provide expertise on PSM risk assessments: HAZOP, LOPA, MOC, ATEX/DSEAR, OBRA
- Both lead and support other members of the SHE team in carrying out assessments
- Drive action completion following assessments
- Carry out basic consequence analysis
- Provide technical information and be the “intelligent customer” when using 3rd parties for e.g., consequence analysis
- Drive risk assessment reviews at the required frequency
- Oversee and check the application of PSM elements during project design and development
- Provide technical support for incident investigations
- Undertake design and safety design work on projects and proposals
- Responsible for ensuring that the site Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) aspects are maintained to the relevant acceptable standards
- Consequence modelling for loss of containment scenarios
- Hazardous area classification calculation and drawings, including fire hazard assessments
- Undertake commissioning and start-up activities on site
- Supporting compliance with COMAH, DSEAR, ATEX, and the process safety management system.
- Supporting the major accident hazard identification and risk assessment processes, including the Haz 0-7 study processes and others where appropriate, e.g. QRA, SIL assessment, occupied buildings risk assessment etc.
- Process safety risk assessment input, which may involve contributing to the selection, installation and operation of equipment, inspection/maintenance considerations and to the design of basic process control systems (BPCS) and alarm management.
- Reviewing and development of process safety relevant procedures and contribution to the creation/revision of other procedures as required.
- Contributing to the development and delivery of training on process safety issues.
- Procuring data to support the active and reactive monitoring systems relevant to process safety, e.g. reporting on process safety performance indicators and participating in incident investigation.
- Input into site emergency response arrangements, in particular, emergency response 'pre-plans'.
- Involvement in the preparation and revision of permitting/licence documentation relevant to process safety such as the COMAH safety report, aspects of the EPR permit hazardous substances consent issues.
- Supporting process safety matters on site such as the provision of guidance and training and preparation for interactions with regulatory authorities such as HSE and EA.
- Lead the development and implementation of internal Process Safety policies and procedures to meet the COMAH regulations requirements
- Provide leadership, and technical assistance on process safety issues acting as the local expert for Process Safety activities. When required, support operations in assessing day-to-day process safety related issues by reviewing isolations, risk assessments, drawings and procedural changes
- Establish appropriate Major Accident risk management processes for the site ( Lower Tier COMAH (Control of Major Accident Hazards))
- Coordination of Process Safety Risk Assessments for the site including HAZOP
- Establish an effective management system for Process Safety tasks and for assuring that all the required Process Safety documents are maintained and continually improved
- Ensure the effective Implementation of Management of Changes (MoCs), process hazard analysis, safe operating limits, and other process safety elements, facilitating action plan development and implementation of process improvements
- Coordinate activities related to the assessment, mitigation and the completion and maintenance of Process safety including Hazard Studies/HAZOP/ ALARP/CDOIF and compliance COMAH Regulations
- Provide assistance to COMAH and Hazardous Substance Consent compliance projects
- Lead the Environmental & HS Team to deliver safety and environmental risk and impact assessments in support of COMAH and Environmental Permitting needs
- Keep up to date with modern processes and techniques, with special reference to EHS.
- Support the other EHS team members to ensure EHS is maintained to a high standard on site.
- Lead in devising strategic opportunities to enhance the control of major accident hazards issues on the site.
- Contribute and support a learning environment for EHS topics, to all staff on site
- Experience of working in a COMAH production/ manufacturing environment
- Process Safety Qualification - Diploma
- Good understanding of Process Safety management and COMAH
- Proven experience of working within Process Safety within a manufacturing or chemical environment
- Ability to plan and organise, to communicate effectively and to analyse complex situations and think strategically
- Excellent communication and collaborative teamwork skills, networker & communicator. Willing to help, support and share knowledge to train others
- Strong track record in Process Safety, you'll be an excellent team player with a proactive and positive attitude and be confident in liaising with colleagues, industrial clients and regulators
- Assess possible causes of injury and circumstances likely to produce an accident , and offer advice to prevent recurrence.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert