Bridge House Estates
Technical Health and Safety Manager
Location - Tower Bridge
Salary - £42,050 - £47,330 pa inclusive of London weighting
We have an opportunity for a hands-on and pro-active Technical Health and Safety Manager to join our operational team at Tower Bridge, London’s Defining Landmark. This interesting new position is significantly varied in scope and will play a key role with regard to compliance with all health and safety legislation and meeting statutory obligations on behalf of the charity Bridge House Estates.
The post practically supports the technical team in their duties with regards to the unique environment at the Bridge and will be required to access and work in operational areas to ensure safe systems of working are in place, provide guidance and monitor/ ensure compliance.
A main focus of the role is to advise and identify safe systems of works, with particular attention to working at heights and other areas within the Bridge. Therefore, it is preferrable that the postholder holds an appropriate qualification, or demonstrate the necessary experience, in order to practically manage and lead on established access procedures for operational tasks/ activities, as well as deliver safe systems of work where no permanent system is in place. There is also a requirement to lead on all aspects of health and safety training including the creation and delivery of a programme of safety training directly to staff.
As a popular tourist attraction, events space, film location and busy major crossing for over 40,000 stakeholders a day, along with our statutory duty to provide bridge lifts to vessels at a minimum 24 hours’ notice, the role presents a great opportunity for the right person to effectively contribute towards maintaining this unique national icon.
You must therefore have a strong health and safety background (knowledge and practical application) with the ability to work on your own initiative, as well as being able to collaborate effectively across different teams as part of your responsibility for managing and delivering the Tower Bridge Health and Safety Management System.
Amongst your duties you will:
- Continuously develop, maintain and co-ordinate all health & safety policies and procedures for Tower Bridge ensuring appropriate monitoring arrangements, regular auditing and inspections are in place and recorded,
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of industry-relevant H&S, and to identify and interpret new legislation,
- Manage and develop all working at heights activities in relation to operational routines/ tasks, ensuring compliance with current legislation, undertake risk assessments, produce safe systems of work and rescue, as well as practically delivering specific training to staff,
- Deliver temporary safe systems of work in operational areas where no formal working at height system is in place to allow tasks and activities to be undertaken, and lead on introducing physical improvements in order to provide a permanent safe system of work,
- Provide sound professional advice, technical guidance and/ or assistance to management, operational staff, contractors, events, tours, filming and any other non-contractual representatives on technical matters as and when required,
- To lead on the Control of Contractors and be the main point of contact to agree RAMS and induct, supervise, monitor and provide advice as necessary to ensure they comply with all health and safety and security procedures.
- To identify, develop, manage and deliver a programme of safety training and toolbox talks for the operational team, including in-house delivery of working at height activities,
- Manage procurement and maintenance of all PPE and safety systems ensuring that health and safety inspections of all safety equipment and infrastructure is undertaken at required intervals and that management records are maintained.
The appointment will be on a 35 hour week working Monday to Friday, however, flexibility is required for out of hours working both weekdays and weekends where necessary and overtime will be paid accordingly.
Bridge House Estates (BHE) is a 900-year old historic charity of which the City of London Corporation is Trustee. BHE has remained vital to London over the years and today its primary purpose is to maintain and support five of London’s most iconic Thames Bridges. During the past 25 years, our vision has expanded to tackle social and economic divides across the capital. Today we still maintain our bridges, but via our funding team, the ‘City Bridge Trust’, we distribute approximately £25m each year to support other charitable causes. Collaborating with civil society, foundations, policy makers and businesses, we harness the combined experience of local communities and partners to build a fairer, more inclusive London.
The closing date: 12 noon, 08 February, 2023
To apply online, please click the apply button.
Alternatively, please contact 020 7332 3978 (24hr answerphone) quoting reference number OBHE0023. A minicom service for the hearing impaired is available on 020 7332 3732.
The City of London Corporation is committed to Equal Opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the Community.