Health and Safety Director
Cranfield | £Competitive Plus Excellent Benefits
Irwin and Colton are delighted to be partnering with Cranfield University to identify a new Health and Safety Director. With over 4,800 students and staff, the University has an extremely diverse estate specialising in science, research and development, engineering, design, technology and management. Cranfield's world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in technology and management globally. Find out more about Cranfield's unique impact, and our vision, mission and values here. As a result, this role will focus on engaging with a wide range of stakeholders to establish and maintain a programme of continual improvement in the management of Health and Safety across the organisation.
This exciting opportunity will ensure a safe and compliant environment for all staff, students, and visitors. This role will help create and maintain a culture in which everyone can work and study together and realise their full potential. You will be a catalyst for behaviour change across the University at all levels through the application of coaching, influencing and engagement to facilitate an effective and integrated health and safety culture.
It is essential candidates are committed to the University's values of Inclusivity, Ambition, Impact, Community and Respect and share the desire to support a university community that values diversity.
Responsibilities for the Health and Safety Director will include:
- Creating and delivering risk management and assurance programs to ensure an accurate understanding of the risk profile
- Leading and developing the current Health and Safety function to ensure that effective and efficient procedures are in place to identify, measure and report on health and safety related risks
- Leadership of the function, reporting to internal Boards and Committees to ensure the communication of risk and assurance in addition to engaging external stakeholders
- Elevating the health and safety management culture across the university so that it becomes a key component of the overall University culture
The successful Health and Safety Director will have:
- Experience in leading a health and safety function and team for a large and complex organisation, ideally in the education industry sector
- A NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent and ideally Chartered Membership of a relevant industry body (i.e. CMIOSH)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with experience influencing and engaging with a wide range of senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of the Health and Safety regulatory framework
Collaborating and connecting are integral to so much of what we do. Cranfield's Working Arrangements Framework provides many staff with the opportunity to flexibly combine on-site and remote working, balancing the needs of our community of staff, students, clients and partners. The nature of this role will require significant presence on-site to provide visible leadership and management of the Health & Safety service for the university community. We are however committed to actively exploring flexible working options for each role and have been ranked in the Top 30 family friendly employers in the UK by the charity Working Families.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving university and take the leading role for Health and Safety. For further information, please contact Emily Flynn on or 01923 433 289 to discuss further and apply.
Cranfield University and Irwin and Colton are focused on embedding equality, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. As part of this, we encourage applicants from all communities, particularly those from under-represented groups. Cranfield are a Disability Confident Employer and proud members of the Stonewall Diversity Champions Programme.