Health and Safety Advisor, CXCS
CXCS is a Herefordshire-based consultancy, providing services to over 1,200 farming businesses.
Our Health and Safety department, supporting clients nationwide, is growing rapidly so we are looking for an additional advisor.
Most of the role will involve advising farmers and estate owners on the risks associated with agricultural and land-based enterprises, but we are expanding into commercial sites such as haulage companies and non-agricultural businesses in 2023.
This is a chance to join a progressive, dynamic company in a position that will allow you to make your mark and make a real difference.
The ideal candidate will have five or more years’ experience in a health and safety position.
A knowledge of farming or the countryside would be an advantage, as you’ll need to understand and empathise with the opportunities and challenges that farmers and rural businesses face.
However, we would also like to see applications from those working in sectors unconnected to farming.
We are looking for someone who:
- Holds a NEBOSH General Certificate (or higher)
- Has a National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
- Is a graduate (or more senior) member of IOSH
- Understand the relevant legislation
- Have a handle on how the law is changing and what that will mean for clients
- Pay meticulous attention to detail
- Know that a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to farming H&S
- Be able to give practical, pragmatic advice to clients
- Be able to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues
- Be confident enough to win new business
- Have accurate report writing skills
- Be IT literate
- Be flexible and able to organise your own diary
We specialise in advising farmers with compliance, spanning everything from environmental legislation and human resources to subsidies and farm assurance schemes.
Long term, our ambition is to become the number one health and safety adviser to the UK farming sector, while also building a client base in the wider rural business community, whether that’s garden centres, holiday parks, village shops or fish farms.
How we’ll work together
The role will include:
- Developing bespoke policies and procedures for clients then helping them implement them
- Producing/updating records and maintaining the necessary paper trail
- Managing paperwork to meet all appropriate deadlines
- Presenting Toolbox Talks to farm employees, highlighting risks and procedures to follow
- Representing clients if they have an HSE inspection
- Compiling risk management plans for health, safety and welfare
- Providing quotations to prospective clients through visits, over the phone and via email
- Helping win new business
There is scope to work from home, but the role will involve travel across the UK and frequent stays away from home. You will also need to visit our head office periodically.
This is a great chance to travel, meet people and work in beautiful parts of the country – while taking satisfaction from knowing you're helping people safeguard themselves, their families, their employees, and members of the public, as well as keeping their businesses legislation compliant.
We are a friendly, high-performing team who value a work-life balance. We were recognised an ‘Employer of the Year’ in a recent national awards competition. We offer a competitive salary, an attractive pension scheme and a company car (after the probation period).
How to apply
The farming industry has a tragically high fatality and injury rate. We want to play our part in changing this. We’re passionate about keeping people safe and helping their businesses thrive. If you share a similar outlook, please send a CV and cover letter, plus an indication of your salary expectations, to CXCS’s Managing Director Karen Powell on firstname.lastname@example.org, or ring CXCS’s Senior Health and Safety Advisor, Chris Finn, for an informal discussion about the role on 07795 681906.