This job has expired

Operational Health, Safety & Environment Senior Manager

Wales & West Utilities
Wales / England
£60,000 - £70,000
Closing date
30 Nov 2022
HS&E Senior Manager

A bit about us

We are a gas distribution business that services the gas infrastructure across Wales and the south-west of England. We serve our customers and communities with safe, reliable and affordable energy services whilst investing to create a sustainable future to deliver our carbon-free vision for 2050.

You’ll be joining an award-winning team with an exceptional reputation for maintaining and operating a safe and reliable gas network across Wales and Southwest England, and you will play a big part in maintaining this performance.

What we’re looking for?

We’re looking for an experienced Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) Senior Manager to support one of our key priorities – Demanding Safety Always. As a Health & Safety Senior Manager, you will be responsible to deliver on HS&E legislative compliance, whilst striving for continuous improvement in the areas of health, safety, and environmental performance. 

You will also be responsible for providing comprehensive HS&E compliance assurance, occupational health and safety expertise, advice and support to Operations and the wider business to reduce risk to employees, contractors, and the general public.

You will need to be willing to travel to and visit our offices and depots across Wales and the southwest of England and some overnight stays may be necessary. There is also the opportunity to work from home for some of the time.

We will trust you to

  • Manage and develop a team of HSE professionals to provide comprehensive HS&E compliance assurance, occupational and safety expertise, advice and support to Operations and the wider business as required Communicate the impact of new and / or revised HS&E legislation to Operations and the wider business as required.
  • Manage the review, development, and update of WWU’s Operational HS&E procedures, taking account of new or changing legislation, regulatory and company requirements.
  • Ensure Operational HS&E standards and processes meet the requirement of ISO45001. Support the external audit of this accreditation, acting as Operational lead.
  • Monitor Operations HS&E performance results against company targets, objectives and Key Performance Indicator’s (KPI’s), benchmarking against industry best practice. Identify, develop, and implement strategic HS&E annual plans to continually improve HS&E management control and performance throughout Operations.
  • Manage a budget

This is not an exhaustive list; a full job description is attached below for further details on key duties

You’ll need to have

  • Minimum NEBOSH Diploma level vocational qualification.
  • Professional membership of IOSH at Graduate membership (Minimum); Chartership is preferred. 
  • Experience at leading a team of HS&E professionals at a management level in the utilities or construction sectors.

We would also love to hear about anything else you feel you could add or bring to the role!

What’s in it for you?

  • A competitive salary
  • 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
  • Hybrid working
  • Flexible working
  • Company Car
  • Retirement Savings Plan (pension) with Aviva: 5% employee contribution, with WWU doubling your contribution at 10% - totaling 15%
  • 14 x salary Life Insurance linked to membership of the Retirement Savings Plan
  • “Choices” flexible benefit scheme options including corporate gym memberships, dental insurance and health cash-plans Private Medical Insurance Access to our Financial Wellbeing Programme - allowing you to manage your benefits flexibly to suit your financial needs
  • Enhanced pay for parental leave
  • Retail discounts and cashback scheme
  • Annual salary review and discretionary bonus of up to 25%
  • Company Sick Pay
  • In-house Occupational Health Team
  • Employee Assistance Programme
  • Comprehensive training


If you think you’d make a good addition to the team, we would love to hear from you!

If you would like to discuss the role in a little more detail, please contact Sian James, HR Services Manager by email – or telephone 07970 489 413.

Get job alerts

Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.

Create alert