Director of Occupational Health and Safety
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford | £Competitive Plus Excellent Benefits
We are pleased to have been engaged by Oxford Brookes University to identify a new Director of Occupational Health and Safety to provide strategic leadership and advice on all matters concerning Health, Safety and Occupational Health.
The successful postholder will ensure a comprehensive strategy is in place to achieve and maintain compliance with all health and safety legislation across four campuses. With over 18,000 students, the University is one of the UK's top modern educational establishments with a local, national and international reputation for teaching and research excellence.
This exciting opportunity will ensure a safe and compliant environment for all staff, students, and visitors.
Responsibilities for the Director of Occupational Health and Safety will include:
- Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for all our staff, students and visitors to work and study, by ensuring appropriate strategies, action plans and governance structures are implemented to identify, measure and manage risk
- Leading and developing the Occupational Health (OH) and Safety teams, ensuring that they have the necessary qualifications, skills and direction to deliver a high-standard, professional service to the University
- Leading and providing support to projects across the People Directorate and wider university to promote the health, safety and wellbeing of all our people.
- Being the primary source of competent, pragmatic advice and guidance for colleagues at all levels on health and safety requirements and good practice
- In conjunction with the Head of OH, develop surveillance of health and wellness performance, management of occupational health hazards and a health surveillance programme
The successful Director of Occupational Health and Safety will have:
- Experience in leading a health and safety and occupational health function and team for a large and complex organisation, ideally in the Educational industry sector
- A degree or equivalent and ideally chartered membership of a relevant industry body (i.e. CMIOSH)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with experience influencing and engaging with a wide range of senior stakeholders
- A strong understanding of the Health and Safety regulatory framework
This is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving university and take the leading role for Health, Safety and Occupational Health. For further information, please contact Emily Flynn on or 01923 433 289 to discuss further and apply.
Irwin & Colton are a specialist Health and Safety recruitment company, based in the South East of England we recruit across the UK. We recruit all roles in the health and safety industry from Health and Safety Manager, Health and Safety Director through to Health and Safety Advisor positions.