At Wessex Water, we are continuously looking to improve and further develop health and safety throughout the business. With this in mind, we are pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and dedicated Health and Safety Manager to head up our Engineering and Sustainable Delivery (ESD) team.
Our ESD team delivers Wessex Water’s £1.5billion five-year investment programme. We are a diverse, multi-disciplined, innovative, customer focussed team of over 650 dedicated and highly skilled people.
The team is responsible for: purchasing, fleet, supply chain, plant and logistics, environmental, ecological, engineering, design, estimating, commercial, planning, project management, automation, commissioning and construction.
Our in-house Civil and M&E (MEICA) Construction teams are a major part of our capability in delivering the whole programme, alongside our water supply, sewer and waste network renovation teams. Their onsite works range from £50,000 to £50million projects with varying complexity of major civils and M&E.
As part of this exciting and challenging role, you will see our projects from concept through to detailed design, into construction, and delivery to the end user.
We invest in our inhouse capabilities and local supply chain while driving a culture of safety, continuous improvement, people development and technology advancement.
We invest in our sustainable future through career apprenticeships, highly skilled field teams, engineering, environmental and management professionals and ensuring everyone can realise their full potential. Our standard is to be looking after tomorrow, today.
As the Health and Safety Manager, you will act as a role model for Health and Safety, driving a strong ‘speak up’ and safety culture, as well as leading for performance improvement.
Reporting to the Director of Health and Safety for the Wessex Water Group, you will be leading a team of Health and Safety Advisers to drive our Health and Safety strategy and ensure we continually look to identify opportunities for improvement and proactive interventions, while also sharing best practice across the company.
Working across multiple sites within ESD, additional responsibilities will include;
- managing the auditing process to identify trends and ensure compliance
- providing support to ESD, management and on-site teams
- managing the investigation of incidents and near miss events to ensure appropriate remedial action is taken
- achieving KPIs and ensuring the Health and Safety team meets the service level agreement
- identifying trends and putting forward improvements to the Health and Safety strategy
- developing and presenting reports at Director level
- managing ISO45001 compliance
- providing support and advice to departments within ESD
- working collaboratively with other members in the health and safety team to ensure policies and procedures are aligned
- reviewing health and safety procedures and documentation to ensure they are kept up to date and in line with legislation
- supporting, monitoring and maintaining the delivery of safe working practices in line with company policy and procedures
- working closely with the Director of Health and Safety to ensure a unified approach to health and safety across the company
What do you need?
We are looking for a charismatic leader who is able to lead, mentor and develop their teams to achieve continual improvement. You will be an enthusiastic individual with a can-do attitude who has the ability to promote a positive health and safety culture.
You will have excellent communication skills and will be confident liaising with colleagues across all levels of the business.
In addition, we are looking for someone that has/is:
- educated to a health and safety standard (NEBOSH Diploma or similar)
- a chartered member of the Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- health and safety experience gained within a heavy civil engineering/MEICA environment
- previous experience of managing a team of Health and Safety Advisers
- experience developing behaviour systems to support cultural development
- the ability to undertake statistical analysis, develop trends and recommend improvement strategies
- knowledge of hazard identification and risk mitigation processes
- first-hand knowledge of ISO45001 management systems
- the ability to understand complex tasks and challenge decision making and working methods in a constructive manner
- a comprehensive understanding of current health and safety legislation
- able to work at Director level and produce and present informative and accurate reports
- able to develop safe systems of work
- a full clean UK driving licence due to the remote nature of the role
What you’ll get from us?
Our people tell us Wessex Water is a great place to work, and they stay with us! We are proud of how we support development and career progression. We have a wealth of both financial and non-financial benefits to offer our people and are committed to ensuring we provide an environment that supports health and wellbeing and flexible working.
We continue to promote diversity and inclusion. With that in mind, we welcome all applicants.
We are delighted to have signed the Armed Forces covenant and are a Disability Confident Employer. Applicants who declare they have a disability or have previously served with the Armed Forces, and meet the minimum requirements for the job, will automatically be invited for an interview.
Please let us know if you require any additional support or adjustments to assist you in starting your journey with Wessex Water.
The appointment of successful applicant/s will also be subject to receiving suitable references and basic (or where job applicable) other criminal disclosure checks. You must also be able to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK.
If you have what it takes to join this award-winning business and want to be part of our exciting journey and share in that success, then please get in contact with us to find out more.
Sound interesting? Please click APPLY to progress to the next step.