Head of Health Safety & Wellbeing
Your new role
This is a unique opportunity to lead Highways England’s Major Projects National Health, Safety and Wellbeing team, supporting our £27.4bn investment programme. You will report into the Director of Health, Safety and Wellbeing as well as having a close working relationship with the Executive director of Major Projects and his leadership team.
The candidate will have a wide experience of health and safety management and will possess at least a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent and a higher degree alongside a working knowledge of construction activities, including CDM. They will also have a proven track record of team management, stakeholder engagement and having formulated plans that have brought about real safety improvements from a technical and behavioural basis.
What you’ll be leading on
- Development of business strategy and requirements of Highways England’s health and safety plans.
- Ensuring that we are delivering against our responsibilities as a major Client organisation, including against CDM requirements.
- Ensuring that the key objectives are appropriately represented in the business strategy and plan.
- Building our requirements into the procurement stages of tenders and assessments.
- Through your team, providing advice and support to senior business leaders on matters affecting delivery of organisational targets.
- Supporting the safe delivery of major projects and providing assurance that our supply chain are delivering against their commitments.
- Forging close working relationship across our vast supply chain and throughout the industry.
To be successful, you will need
- Experience of senior stakeholder engagement & involvement
- Experience of team management and engagement across a supply chain
- Knowledge of safety in construction management and procurement activities, with a thorough knowledge of CDM
- Experience of having implemented strategies and plans aimed at improving health, safety and wellbeing performance
- Ability to influence through compelling communications including written business cases and presentations
- Evidence of using data to inform decision making and to influence others
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Health, Safety and Wellbeing Division within our Safety, Engineering and Standards team.
The Safety, Engineering and Standards team’s key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety
Want to know more?
Please email email@example.com quoting HIG05444.
Interviews are due to take place late August 2021.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behavior we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.