Senior Health and Safety Adviser
Sunderland City Council has an ambitious City Plan which sets the framework for the City’s ongoing regeneration to help ensure we serve our communities to the highest standards possible. The Plan takes us up to 2030 and major milestones have already been achieved and construction nearing completion on the new City Hall.
Due to retirement, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Health and Safety Adviser to work within Sunderland City Council’s Health and Safety Team. You will be required to work agilely between home and office-based in the Civic Centre, Sunderland. The post will involve some site-based travel.
The successful candidate will:
- provide specialist strategic and operational health and safety advice to managers and employees of the council, its partners including schools as well as trade unions.
- support the Health and Safety Manager in ensuring high standards of health and safety for all employees and in any other areas where the Council has an interest.
- lead on specific complex corporate health and safety issues, researching and designing appropriate systems, which fit the organisation and health and safety legislative requirements.
- assist in the formulation of appropriate policies and practices.
- attend and represent the Council’s health and safety team at local and national meetings or forums.
Day to day tasks may include anything from investigating accidents/incidents, actively contributing to developing the management system, working closely with senior leadership teams to influence safety and culture, ensuring compliance with legislation & regulations, reviewing and completing risk assessments, preparing reports, delivering and developing training programmes and promoting positive H&S culture.
Qualifications required: NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent e.g. NVQ L5/6 and hold Chartered Status of the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (CMIOSH) or equivalent.
Ideally you will have experience of working within an organisation which has a broad range and diversity of risks, in completing fire risk assessments and extensive experience in delivering engaging and informative training. You will need to have excellent communication skills, be an effective team player with an adaptable approach enabling you to build strong and lasting relationships with a range of people.
For an informal discussion please contact Geoff Scrafton on 0191 561 2386 or email [email protected].
Applications should be made on-line at northeastjobs.org.uk/sunderlandcitycouncil.
For further assistance contact Operational HR Services by email: [email protected]
Please note that CVs are not acceptable.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address that you have registered online with North East Jobs, including your invitation to any online assessment you are required to undertake and your invite to interview if you are short-listed. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notifications as you may not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk mail items.
Please be advised if you have not heard from us within six weeks of the closing date you should assume you have not been shortlisted.