Safety and Environmental Consultant
At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S), we’re excited to be building a new team of safety and environmental consultants at our Glasgow site.
Join this new and expanding team and play a vital role in ensuring the equipment used by the UK’s Armed Forces is safe and offers the best possible protection, while minimising environmental impact.
Become a go-to expert, contributing vital expertise and managing safety or environmental risks across a wide breadth of high-profile projects and equipment, from combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines and aircraft carriers.
Influence safety and environmental decisions across the full lifecycle, from the design and build of equipment, to the through-life support and safe decommissioning of the equipment used on the frontline.
As a technical expert in your field, you’ll become part of our wider Internal Technical Support (ITS) team, a group of in-house technical experts responsible for providing consultancy services to any procurement project across the Ministry of Defence.
Throughout your career, you’ll play a key role in identifying and communicating best practice, promoting skills development, standardising process and increasing knowledge transfer throughout the Ministry of Defence.
Please note that due to the nature of some projects, some of these roles may require Sole UK Nationals.
Responsibilities for Safety and Environmental Consultant
• Working on complex products, systems and services, you will scope fixed-price technical consultancy tasks to meet your customers’ needs, ensuring they are delivered to cost, time and customer satisfaction
• You will negotiate and deliver against a commitment to carry out accurately-costed tasks
• You will develop safety or environmental artefacts/ evidence that will be used in the assessment of environmental/safety risk and consider the implications of changes to equipment design, offering mitigation advice in the process
• You will develop and implement environmental/safety management systems for products, services or systems, as either part of design or in-service support
• You will act as an independent subject practitioner to support our delivery teams and industry partners with best practice, legislative & regulatory compliance, and mitigation techniques, consistently encouraging continuous improvement at all levels
• You will utilise your exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills to offer all of the above services across multiple areas such as Maritime, Land, Weapons, Air, and Submarines, ensuring that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Demonstrable and relevant consultancy experience as a safety or environmental advisor/auditor, with the ability to scope and deliver high-quality outputs within pre-defined timescales and to budget against developed programmes of work
• Demonstrable experience of using a range of environmental/safety tools and techniques, to provide advice and guidance on complex projects
• A Level 5 (or higher) qualification in an engineering or scientific subject or equivalent experience in industry
• Experience of developing and writing safety/ environmental artefacts in support of compelling safety/environmental bodies of evidence
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Professional registration with a relevant institution. For example, Institution of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH) or International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM)
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply for Safety and Environmental Consultant by creating an account and upload your details.