Head of Safety
1 day left
- Full Time
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Safety to join our team based in Chingford. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis and in return for your hard work we will offer you a competitive salary of £70,000 per annum, inclusive of Outer London Weighting.
The Head of Safety Role:
The purpose of this role is to lead the Scouts’ safety function in respect of both its employed staff, volunteers and young people and to develop and implement formal strategies to improve safety in scouting. The role will develop and drive a strong safety culture throughout the movement by ensuring good national policies, providing high quality advice and training and influencing senior volunteers to implement these at all levels across the organisation. The design, implementation and utilisation of a quality assurance framework across scouting and staff activities, identifying where improvements are required and implement the necessary change arising will be key to this role. Additionally the post-holder will ensure that the Scouts is up to date with relevant good safety practice in relation to employment, volunteering and scouts’ activities and that this informs its policies and QA mechanisms. The role will assist the Chief Safeguarding Officer in servicing the Scouts’ Safety and HQ Health & Safety Committees ensuring quality reporting and specialist advice is provided to make the Committees highly effective.
What will you be doing in the Head of Safety role?
- Leading the safety function for the Scouts to drive the right culture and practice throughout all scouting activities and within the HQ operations
- Working closely with senior volunteers, designing a formal safety strategy for scouting, based on analysis of need across the organisation, implementing the strategy, and monitor its effectiveness
- Proactively developing appropriate rules, policies, and guidance relating to the safe provision of Scouting and maintain these in line with best safety practice
- Preparing reports for the Safety and Health & Safety Committees and other relevant forums on matters of safety
- Representing the Scouts externally, including liaison with families, courts, and external regulatory bodies
- Ensuring that all significant and critical incidents are appropriately managed, identifying and implementing learning to support future prevention
- Ensuring the availability of quality management information to be used to inform safety practice and lead to an improvement in safety in scouting
- Manage delegated budgets
Any other duties as reasonably requested by the Chief Safeguarding Officer commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the job.
What we are looking for in our Head of Safety:
- Chartered Member of Institution of Occupational Health (CMIOSH) or equivalent
- Educated to diploma level or equivalent
- Extensive senior-level professional experience in safety management in a relevant industry
- Experience of designing and implementing safety policy and good practice and ensuring these are delivered on the ground
- Extensive knowledge of safety law, regulation, and good practice in a relevant industry
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- High-level influencing skills
What we can offer you as our Head of Safety:
- 25 days holiday and going up to 28 days after 2 years’ service and 32 days after 5 years’ service
- Additional holidays between Christmas & New Year
- Life Assurance
- Simply Health Scheme
- Generous Pension Scheme
- Free car parking
- Gilwell park minibus service
Hours: 35 hours per week
Location: Gilwell Park, Chingford, London
Salary: £70,000 per annum, inclusive of Outer London Weighting
Closing date: Closing date for applications is 9am 4 March 2021
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to join our fantastic team! Click ‘Apply’ now!
The Scouts is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to diversity and actively seeking applicants from a wide range of backgrounds.
Strictly no agencies