Manager, SMS Policy and RM3
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent safety and economic regulator for Britain's railways and the independent monitor of Highways England. We are here to ensure the network operates safely, reliably and provides value for taxpayers and customers.
The SMS Policy and RM3 Manager supports delivery of ORR’s H&S Regulatory Strategy through driving the railway stakeholder community towards excellence in H&S management.
The postholder will lead ORR’s Railway Safety Directorate (RSD) in the development of strategy and policy on Safety Management Systems (SMS) and how ORR regulates dutyholders in this area. They will update/maintain the process for assessing dutyholder compliance with relevant legislation and enable them to work towards achieving excellence in safety management. A key tool for enabling this excellence is ORR’s Risk Management Maturity Model (RM3). The postholder will work with industry to promote use of this model, as well as provide specialist advice and guidance. The postholder will also represent ORR’s Safety Directorate on various committees.
This role also has a significant internal focus, providing advice and specialist support to colleagues on SMS and RM3, including delivery of training, briefings and workshops.
You will enjoy a challenging, varied portfolio and be expected to work independently on your own initiative. You will also need to be flexible and contribute to and/or manage policy projects and ad hoc teams effectively.
Key Responsibilities include
- Act as ORR’s lead on development and implementation of internal and external policy on SMS related to railway H&S; Work with industry on data use, information and models for the evaluation of their management maturity.
- Own the ORR Strategic Risk Chapter (SRC) on SMS, ensuring content is regularly reviewed and updated, and develop/maintain internal reference documentation.
- Lead the continuing development, improvement and routine maintenance of the RM3 process.
- Actively engage internal colleagues and/or external stakeholders to promote and support a collaborative approach to delivering ORR’s strategic objective of excellence in H&S management from the industry.
- Deliver key responsibilities as identified, including presenting policies and processes to operational colleagues. Represent ORR at various dutyholder/stakeholder meetings and groups, including the RM3 Governance Board (RM3GB).
- Assist and support the Head of Mainline and Non-mainline railways to develop process and guidance to discharge the requirements of the CSM on Conformity Assessment as mandated by ROGS (Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006).
Closing date: 23 September 2020.