Health & Safety Manager
Continual risk assessment is needed in all well-run organisations. Operational procedures and verification thereof on all significant risks to the business including, but not limited to, health and safety, are required. The role is responsible for conducting projects, giving advice and encouraging continuous improvement and plays a direct role in chairing the Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Committee. Day to day safety, health and environment responsibilities remain the responsibility of line managers.
The work will be a mix of office-based and visits to the rest of the site and external visits to company activities. The nature of the work requires the post holder to be medically fit and duties may require climbing heights and entering confined spaces.
- Advise staff, senior management, the Audit & Risk Committee and the Directors on health and safety and related risks to meet the current and future needs of the Company, and to ensure that the Company meets its legal obligations in respect of these areas of risk
- Drive and embed a culture of continuous improvement in HSE
- To undertake project activities and gap analyses as required by senior management
- Design and deliver quality HSE data and reports to management. Own and maintain the company’s H&S Management System.
- Conduct or commission relevant training including the preparation of relevant Toolbox Talks, , to educate staff in health and safety. Work with the Learning and Development Advisor to ensure GEL are compliant with their duties to provide sufficient instruction, training and supervision as necessary to ensure the health safety and welfare of its employees
- Revise policies/procedures and all other relevant documentation in line with changing requirements and distribute appropriate information to staff to maintain their awareness. Review and update the Health and Safety Management System at the prescribed interval and bring proposed changes to the attention of the SHE Committee and business
- Lead continuous improvement in process and practice throughout GEL in accordance with the HSMS and assist the Environmental Sustainability Manager in continuous improvement in the Environmental performance
- Ensure site compliance with the requirements of local regulations GEL’s HSEMS
- Assist in the maintenance of the company accident/incident records and statistics and ensure compliance with external reporting requirements in accordance with local regulations and as required by the duties of the Responsible Person as detailed in the Ordinance.
- Setting quality compliance objectives and audit mechanisms ensuring that targets are achieved.
- Own and develop the suite of HSE metrics.
- Manage the H and S Budget, reporting on performance to the Finance team
- Be aware of and comply with local legislation, specifically related to Health & Safety, Environment and Data Protection.
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- A relevant professional qualification from either the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health or the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management or working towards this qualification.
- Significant experience in a senior safety/risk/quality position
- Knowledge and proven track record of delivery of occupational health and safety systems
- Previous experience with software-based H&S Management Systems and tools including Dynamics 365 and Power BI
- Ability to think and plan at a strategic level to deliver an agreed QA vision aligned with the business goals
- Experience in risk assessment, controls and compliance
- Ability to develop a strategy and lead the development of QA reporting requirements
- Experience of working and delivering at senior management level
- Experience of successfully managing and motivating a risk, quality or health and safety team
- Demonstrate current knowledge of the functional structure of Guernsey Electricity, its mission, objectives, strategies and critical success factors
- Ability to communicate and manage people effectively; continually improving the performance of direct reports by providing feedback, mentoring and coaching
About Guernsey Electricity
Guernsey Electricity is a leading utility business supplying electricity and associated services to domestic and commercial customers.
It is the sole provider of electrical energy in Guernsey and is wholly owned by the island’s government, combining the importation of electricity with local power generation and distribution. It also undertakes electrical contracting and retailing and is a partner in a joint venture which operates the transmission company connecting the Channel Islands to France. It has a turnover of £55 million and the company has a major capital expenditure programme over the next 5 years in developing and upgrading key parts of its infrastructure.
Guernsey Electricity employs in the region of 200 staff in a wide range of business areas including Asset Management, Generation, Distribution, Commercial Contracting, Retail, HR, Facilities, Finance, IT, Customer Service and Project Management.